Skip to main content

December 2018 and Life Update!

Hi all! Its been way too long and Ive been meaning to write for forever but it seems like such a daunting task to fill you in on the last two years of my life… So Im not going to.

Let’s just start about a month and a half ago around Thanksgiving 2018. 

At this point, Ty and I had been living in CT for about a year and a half in our adorable two bedroom condo around the corner from downtown Westerly, RI. I wanted to hate it but Westerly was one of the best moves I’ve ever made. I would get excited to head home and flying back to New England would make me giddy. 

Now Im in California. 

How?

Well, there were many factors but one of them was that winter sucks. It sucks everything out of the both of us. Its such a struggle that everything amazing about the place wasn’t worth it. So we wanted to be somewhere warm were we could be happy all the time. (Also, our roof leaked but thats another long story) 

Ty got a job offer in Florida and it seemed like things were moving in the direction we needed them to (to warmer pastures!). It was terrifying to make the decision to leave my beloved New England but terrifying decisions are what make us grow right?

You may be thinking… Thats still not California…

Anyway, Ty took the job shortly after Thanksgiving and I decided I wanted to go to Brussels and Iceland. tickets were cheap and I needed to visit my cousin before it was too late! I know, not the best timing as we would have to move out of our condo mid-December… But I cant pass up travel deals.

Again, not California? Im getting there!

So, we decided that I should go somewhere were I could save up money for the move to FL. Thats where California comes in. I went back to fill in a position at a place I had previously worked about 4 years ago now. Easy-ish transition for me with friends and family in the area and a familiar work environment. 

So, Its after Thanksgiving break and Im prepping the house for moving by starting to sell our adorable furniture and I was preparing for my solo trip abroad! A week before leaving on my European adventure, Tyler booked his tickets to join me as he had unused PTO that he needed to use! Yay, a travel buddy! 
Adorable furniture
Y’all, we only got one stamp in our passport… depressing. But the trip wasn’t depressing (minus the fact that I got pretty ill from not sleeping for 24 hours…). We had so much fun exploring Brussels with my cousins. We ate Belgium waffles (omg… caramelized sugar… mmmm…) and chocolates, drank sour beer, looked at lace. As well as drank wine and ate delicious home-cooked meals while talking about adventures we’ve had around the world. 
The most amazing waffles in the world
Cause everyone needs a chocolate clog
Exploring Brussels! Grand Place
All the lace
Belgium beer!
In Iceland we only had 48 hours so we needed to stuff a lot in! We did a tour of the golden circle to see hot spots and waterfalls. We ate insanely expensive food and drank the most expensive local beers. We bathed in a natural hot spring, relaxing before almost missing our bus and having to travel back to the states. 
Viking, Icelandic beer
Gollfoss waterfall in the Golden Circle
Geysers!
Blue Lagoon
Once back in the US, we had a week to move out of our home. My dad came to help us and literally cleaned our whole apartment while Ty and I rifled through our stuff deciding what was important enough to lug across the country. Ty’s dad also came to help and it was such a fun, stressful and terribly sad last week. All of our friends wanted to see us so we ate at all of our favorite spots, walked to the local breweries and said goodbye to our favorite bartender. Gosh, just thinking of that little community makes me so nostalgic. It really was a little gem that we found on this gigantic planet…

The good thing about moving before the Holiday break was that Ty was able to spend the full two (eh, one and a half) weeks with me and my family and friends. Then right on NYE, I dropped him off at the airport to start his journey back to Florida. At first I felt so lost without him. He was my sidekick, my other half, my partner in crime (or fun!) and just around for so long. I miss him every day but am so excited for this next part in our lives. Y’all, we are talking about buying property. Thats a whole lot of crazy talk, but Im so excited! 


Im also pretty excited to have some time to be able to re-start my blogging and update you on all of lifes ups and downs. I realize I haven’t really gotten into what exactly Im doing in California, or even what Ty is doing in Florida but I think there will be a lot of time for that. For now, goodnight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runners High

At 12:30pm, I stepped outside for the first time all day. I hadn't really even left my room until I realized that if I didnt go outside, I probably would bum it all afternoon. I put my running shoes on and bounced outside. I started walking and after I got myself settled, I started to run. After being cooped up, those first few steps of an outdoor run is so magical. The feeling of freedom, fresh air and adrenaline is fantastic. I always have a mad smile and excitement for being able to move so fast. After my first few minutes of running, thats when the exhaustion sets in. What keeps me going longer, is adventure. Do I like running? Not really. Do I enjoy exploring? Obviously. I decided to check out a new part of the power line trail that I have not seen before and ran up the hills, or on straight path, and walked down hills. I went to the beginning of the trail and back again, smiling at the other people who were also out for their afternoon walk/bike. The sun came out and it

Dear Old Friend

Dear old friend, I think about you a lot. As I go about my day I think about how something might make you laugh or say aloud an inside joke that no one understands. I smile as I remember a fond memory. But then I go about my day. At night is when I think about trying to reach out to you again. About what I should have said or what I should say to try to understand why we are no longer close. I come up with scripts in my head about a letter I should write you or a voice mail I should leave, so you know how much I miss you. Sometimes I get angry. Why did this friendship not last forever like I was sure it would? What did I ever do to be treated this way? How could you just leave me alone? Do you even care how I am? I ask myself these questions over and over. I get mad. Then I think. I think that you must not have done this to hurt me; sometimes people just drift apart. That you probably think about me sometimes too. That perhaps, sometimes you smile at an old memory we share. Gut

Bio Bay, PR positives

The coolest part of our trip to Puerto Rico was definitely the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques [side note, bioluminescence is a big word, mostly it just means stuff that lights up but scientifically it means 'bio'-life, 'lumin'-light, 'escence'-to put forth. So, life that puts forth light!] It was an experience that I cannot easily put into words. The night started out a bit strange. We got picked up at our hostel at 9pm, along with 5 other girls, by a thirty-something, long-haired gentleman. He walked us about a block to the van that would transport us to the bio-bay. The van was, well, to put it nicely, a fixer-upper. It had bench seats which were collapsing, the roof fabric was falling down, it puttered around and squeaked during turns. Ty and I joked that we were paying 40 bucks to get murdered in this van especially when we turned down a dirt, side street that was full of pot holes. We slowly lumbered along this road for a few minutes until we made it to our