Skip to main content

Hay Monster


Its been hard finding things to write about to continue the blog. I feel like life isn’t that exciting. But then I remember not many of you are traveling outdoor educators who are familiar with life in the mountains dealing with horses. So I guess I'll write about some of the mundane (to me) stuff too!

Its been raining frequently. Its that time of the year here where we should be getting lots of precipitation. Its good to see because that means it’ll help the drought! Last time I was here it NEVER precipitated. It was rare to need a rain jacket… One thing that’s not so fun when its raining is feeding the horses. Ill throw them some hay, it’ll get ALL over me and then will be STUCK to my jacket. I look like a hay monster… lol 

We had a big snowstorm last night. It was mostly sleet yesterday but overnight we got some accumulation. We all woke up to the bright sun reflecting on all the white snow. The mountains had a dusting making the trees look like lace. Even though I am not a fan of snow, I do admit it was very beautiful. I took some pictures too. 
The wash had a big waterfall!

Cacti covered in snow

The river through campus and a snow covered bridge.

Because of the cold temps and snow on the ground, horseback riding was stalled. We instead did horsemanship. In horsemanship, we taught the kids about the “tack” or horse gear and groomed some of the horses. I like doing this with kids better because they really get to know the horses and give them some love. I also like to use some of the horses that normally don’t come out for rides so that they can feel like they’re “working” too. We only bring out about 4 horses and they’re really good at their job. Most of them know when kids are close and stand statue still while the kids brush their fur and comb their mane/tail. It’s pretty cute. 

I do have to say thank goodness for my bogs boots and my snow pants. I don’t think I would have survived the last two days without them! The snow pants are just an extra layer of warmth and the bogs help me tromp through horse mud without a worry. All my clothes are real nasty after a week of horses. My snow pants are covered in mud lol. 

All in all its been a pretty chill week. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runners High

At 12:30pm, I stepped outside for the first time all day. I hadn't really even left my room until I realized that if I didnt go outside, I probably would bum it all afternoon. I put my running shoes on and bounced outside. I started walking and after I got myself settled, I started to run. After being cooped up, those first few steps of an outdoor run is so magical. The feeling of freedom, fresh air and adrenaline is fantastic. I always have a mad smile and excitement for being able to move so fast. After my first few minutes of running, thats when the exhaustion sets in. What keeps me going longer, is adventure. Do I like running? Not really. Do I enjoy exploring? Obviously. I decided to check out a new part of the power line trail that I have not seen before and ran up the hills, or on straight path, and walked down hills. I went to the beginning of the trail and back again, smiling at the other people who were also out for their afternoon walk/bike. The sun came out and it

Dear Old Friend

Dear old friend, I think about you a lot. As I go about my day I think about how something might make you laugh or say aloud an inside joke that no one understands. I smile as I remember a fond memory. But then I go about my day. At night is when I think about trying to reach out to you again. About what I should have said or what I should say to try to understand why we are no longer close. I come up with scripts in my head about a letter I should write you or a voice mail I should leave, so you know how much I miss you. Sometimes I get angry. Why did this friendship not last forever like I was sure it would? What did I ever do to be treated this way? How could you just leave me alone? Do you even care how I am? I ask myself these questions over and over. I get mad. Then I think. I think that you must not have done this to hurt me; sometimes people just drift apart. That you probably think about me sometimes too. That perhaps, sometimes you smile at an old memory we share. Gut

Bio Bay, PR positives

The coolest part of our trip to Puerto Rico was definitely the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques [side note, bioluminescence is a big word, mostly it just means stuff that lights up but scientifically it means 'bio'-life, 'lumin'-light, 'escence'-to put forth. So, life that puts forth light!] It was an experience that I cannot easily put into words. The night started out a bit strange. We got picked up at our hostel at 9pm, along with 5 other girls, by a thirty-something, long-haired gentleman. He walked us about a block to the van that would transport us to the bio-bay. The van was, well, to put it nicely, a fixer-upper. It had bench seats which were collapsing, the roof fabric was falling down, it puttered around and squeaked during turns. Ty and I joked that we were paying 40 bucks to get murdered in this van especially when we turned down a dirt, side street that was full of pot holes. We slowly lumbered along this road for a few minutes until we made it to our