Skip to main content

Mangrove Tunnel

I normally don’t write while Im on the plane but I also don’t normally fly at normal times. A 5 pm flight is the perfect time to get some blogging done in the air!

The last two days of my trip were packed and awesome. I had such a great time with a great friend and it was so sad to leave especially after spending the last few hours exploring the city of St. Petersburg which will hopefully be my new home in the next year! Its such a cute city that is reminiscent of my favorite city, Milwaukee. I could see myself living there for sure :)

Yesterday, we hiked Emerson Point preserve with the dog and pretty much had the place to ourselves! Seeing all the mangroves made me so happy. They are such a cool plant with their drop roots and snorkel roots! Wah! Also, lots of wildlife and history. A lot of the parks that we went to had cut-outs of people just scattered throughout and they startled me on more than one occasion…

Then we rented kayaks in Robinson’s preserve! Huck reluctantly went on the kayak. We both got singles. Going through the mangroves was really neat. There was a mangrove tunnel that we had to go through and there were herons hanging out. We tried to be quiet as we ducked and weaves through the drop roots of the red mangroves. Our kayak out to the lookout was very relaxing. The sun poked out every once in awhile and the gentle wind was at our back. We paddled and coasted, taking in our mangrove surroundings. Huck was great entertainment for his first time on a boat. He looked concerned for my safety, didn’t always have the best balance and whined to get off the boat, not being a huge fan of water.

Two hours later, we made it to the tower lookout. Because Florida is so flat, we were able to see forever, 360 degrees. After taking some silly panorama pictures, we hopped back on the boats, and noticed that the wind had picked up a little bit…
It had picked up a LOT making huge ripples in the water and making it insanely difficult to paddle. My whole upper body was aching not even 30 minutes into the ride back. There were a few thing that made the ride tollerable, one being the osprey we saw in a tree munching on a fish! The other was that on the ride back, Huck became more adventurous and decided to make a run (or swim) to shore not once but twice and we had to wait patiently for him to come back out to us. Good thing he listens really well!


After an hour and a half of paddling so hard that I thought my arms would fall off, we made it back to the mangrove tunnel! We relaxed for a bit holding onto the drop roots and at one point Huck had decided it would be a good idea to put his front legs on my boat and keep his back legs on the other boat. When the boats slowly started to separate, Huck had no idea what to do and fell in! I was quick to grab his adorable little lifejacket and pull him onto my boat.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runners High

At 12:30pm, I stepped outside for the first time all day. I hadn't really even left my room until I realized that if I didnt go outside, I probably would bum it all afternoon. I put my running shoes on and bounced outside. I started walking and after I got myself settled, I started to run. After being cooped up, those first few steps of an outdoor run is so magical. The feeling of freedom, fresh air and adrenaline is fantastic. I always have a mad smile and excitement for being able to move so fast. After my first few minutes of running, thats when the exhaustion sets in. What keeps me going longer, is adventure. Do I like running? Not really. Do I enjoy exploring? Obviously. I decided to check out a new part of the power line trail that I have not seen before and ran up the hills, or on straight path, and walked down hills. I went to the beginning of the trail and back again, smiling at the other people who were also out for their afternoon walk/bike. The sun came out and it

Dear Old Friend

Dear old friend, I think about you a lot. As I go about my day I think about how something might make you laugh or say aloud an inside joke that no one understands. I smile as I remember a fond memory. But then I go about my day. At night is when I think about trying to reach out to you again. About what I should have said or what I should say to try to understand why we are no longer close. I come up with scripts in my head about a letter I should write you or a voice mail I should leave, so you know how much I miss you. Sometimes I get angry. Why did this friendship not last forever like I was sure it would? What did I ever do to be treated this way? How could you just leave me alone? Do you even care how I am? I ask myself these questions over and over. I get mad. Then I think. I think that you must not have done this to hurt me; sometimes people just drift apart. That you probably think about me sometimes too. That perhaps, sometimes you smile at an old memory we share. Gut

Bio Bay, PR positives

The coolest part of our trip to Puerto Rico was definitely the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques [side note, bioluminescence is a big word, mostly it just means stuff that lights up but scientifically it means 'bio'-life, 'lumin'-light, 'escence'-to put forth. So, life that puts forth light!] It was an experience that I cannot easily put into words. The night started out a bit strange. We got picked up at our hostel at 9pm, along with 5 other girls, by a thirty-something, long-haired gentleman. He walked us about a block to the van that would transport us to the bio-bay. The van was, well, to put it nicely, a fixer-upper. It had bench seats which were collapsing, the roof fabric was falling down, it puttered around and squeaked during turns. Ty and I joked that we were paying 40 bucks to get murdered in this van especially when we turned down a dirt, side street that was full of pot holes. We slowly lumbered along this road for a few minutes until we made it to our