Skip to main content

Wall Sits in Philly

I got on the train this afternoon towards Philly and there were an insane amount of people. Never had I seen the train this packed! Then I realized, Easter weekend and most schools have spring break so I prepared myself for a packed city.

I got off the train in a pretty empty train station. I was the only one following the signs, up the stairs to Reading Market. There was almost silence before I pushed on the doors out into the street and was immediately bombarded with tons of people, scratching cars and music from street performers. 

I was meeting a friend of Tys for a blind friend date and was a little nervous as to how I would find her in this crazy crowd. While I was waiting for her, I thought I would explore the area a bit so I walked into Reading Terminal Market and wandered the isles. It was so packed in there that at some times I couldn't move. I love cities and I love being surrounded by people, but this was a bit much, I enjoy my personal bubble and I also enjoy being able to wander at my leisure. 

I heard from the friend that she was stuck in traffic, understandably, so I decided to walk the streets instead, hoping to get some space. I walked the streets for a bit and then got a call saying that after some time, she was having the worst luck finding parking. It was totally understandable seeing as how it was a complete zoo down here. So we decided to try find another spot to hang out that wasn't so crazy. She was leaving the parking garage that I was near and so we tried to coordinate her picking me up. Both of us in a city we were not very familiar with, not really knowing each other or what we look like was definitely a feat. 
"I am in front of Panera Bread on 12th"
"I am driving along market street near reading terminal"
"Theres a parking sign in front of me"
"Im about to go under a tunnel!"
Finally, we got our streets figured out and I caught up to her at a stop light.
"What are you wearing? I think I see you!"
"Im wearing a black jacket!"
"yup, definitely you, Ill try and pull over up here"

Then finally, I found her and we went on a driving adventure through the city to another place with, hopefully, more parking. We kept getting re-routed by the gps because this was our first time meeting and we were excited to get to know each other. So eventually, we got to the area we wanted and it was time to search for parking. We got pretty lucky with a spot on the street and after inching into the narrow spot, we started walking up Walnut to find somewhere to eat and decided on the Cheesecake Factory. 

Late lunch was delicious and the conversation focused around travel and other random things. I always like talking about travel.

Ater lunch we walked around a bit and then she drove me back to the terminal. I drank two glasses of liquids at lunch, so I had to pee real bad. I almost ran to the bathrooms in the terminal. Relieved, I walked out into the terminal at 5:06. I could have taken the 5:10 train but decided that some exploring would be more fun so I ditched the train for an hour to walk. 

I followed the signs for tourists as sneakily as I could. I hate being a gawking tourist. Its best to blend in. I was able to walk through Reading Terminal Market with more ease as the afternoon crowd was lessening. I walked by china town and I made it to the Independence mall where I walked around a bit before I had to leave to catch my 6:10 train. The area seems much more familiar then when I first stepped onto the street. Tour guide I shall be to everyone else.

As I was waiting for the train, some nice young man offered his seat and I politely declined. Apparently too much sitting can kill you. Instead, I started doing wall sits. During my second round of 30 seconds, the man asked again if I was sure I didnt want his seat. I laughed and had to explain to him that I was in fact exercising and enjoying my wall sits. He looked confused and maybe thought I was crazy, but hey, gotta work hard in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cake Fairy

Today was a pretty standard weekend here in PA. I dont do much but hope that its nice out so I can go for a walk and explore on my own, but the sun didnt come shining through my window this morning to wake me up. I slept in. After a few hours of lounging around watching youtube videos about history, I asked Cassie if she wanted to explore the town. We decided to take a visit to a local winery/brewery, Stone & Key Cellars, to do some tastings. They had quite the spread of things to taste and we were overwhelmed! Fruit wines and your typical whites and reds, cider and mede! I started out with some of the red fruit wines and Cassie with the white fruits. They were all a bit sweet for me so I moved right into the bold reds. We got four tastings each and shared our tastes but also, the bartender was super cool and gave us more tastings of whatever he wanted! He was talking to us about the local area and what breweries to check out next in our exploration of Pennsylvania. Going to ...

Parasailing at Sunset in Thailand

Thursday was our last unplanned day to explore Phuket and we wanted to soak up the sun! Brookie sent us to Karron beach nearby. When we got to the beach it was a very very hot day so we decided to walk along the shops side of the beach to catch what little bit of shade there was. You guessed it, I bought more sarongs (addiction) and the more you buy the better deal you can get! I also decided that this day was the perfect day to get the local ice cream. The ice cream is prepared right in front of you on a cold plate and there are very simple ingredients, your flavoring and cream. There were dozens of flavors from fruit to candy to chocolate and of course I wanted the Nutella flavor (another addiction of mine). They put your flavor on the cold plate and then pour the cream on top and try to contain the liquid. After a few seconds, the cream begins to harden and thats when they start scooping up and mixing the ice cream. Some of the "ice cream makers" have a rhythm that mak...

Eating Like Crap is Crap

Im trying really hard not to spend money on food as there is so much food here at camp. Its not horrible food but its definitely not the best. So, with me trying not to spend money on food, I haven't been eating the greatest. I don't know if its because of other reasons, but Ive been feeling like shit lately and Im attributing it to lack of nutrients. I dont know how people eat crap all the time and survive. It must be a skill. I was eating alright about two weeks ago but this last week it hasn't been very pretty. Ive been a scavenger and theres been a lot of bread and fake meat and here is how I feel: Im tired ALL the time. No matter how many naps I take or hours I sleep a night, Im always exhausted by mid-day and just want to lay around, sleep and do nothing. Ive also been starting to get weak headaches throughout the day. Or having sore muscles from doing minimal exercise. That also makes me just want to do nothing. My stomach is also crazy. It hurts if I eat som...