Skip to main content

Runners High

At 12:30pm, I stepped outside for the first time all day. I hadn't really even left my room until I realized that if I didnt go outside, I probably would bum it all afternoon.

I put my running shoes on and bounced outside. I started walking and after I got myself settled, I started to run. After being cooped up, those first few steps of an outdoor run is so magical. The feeling of freedom, fresh air and adrenaline is fantastic. I always have a mad smile and excitement for being able to move so fast. After my first few minutes of running, thats when the exhaustion sets in. What keeps me going longer, is adventure. Do I like running? Not really. Do I enjoy exploring? Obviously.

I decided to check out a new part of the power line trail that I have not seen before and ran up the hills, or on straight path, and walked down hills. I went to the beginning of the trail and back again, smiling at the other people who were also out for their afternoon walk/bike.

The sun came out and it was perfectly warm for a jog. It was about 4 miles total. Its insane that I was able to go that far seeing as how I haven't been constantly running. But like I said, being able to adventure and explore a new area makes me go further and even though my calfs were burning, I kept wanting to go.

I explained the "runners high" to a friend recently. This is pretty much what I said: You start out feeling ok and then it sucks. Everything hurts and you just want to stop but you keep pushing yourself to keep going. It sucks and it keeps sucking and then all of a sudden you feel amazing like you can just keep running forever! That moment, is a runners high and its amazing that that anyone can even push themselves to get to that point.

Why do I run? Its a way to get a lot of exercise in, in a short time. Its an easy way to exercise, all you need are shoes and land. Its also a great way to explore a new area in a shorter amount of time then walking. Also, it makes me feel like a bad ass.

Comments

  1. You are so bad ass! I have only felt this a few times in my life... I know I should give it another go but it's so hard! Wah, wah wah.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Old Friend

Dear old friend, I think about you a lot. As I go about my day I think about how something might make you laugh or say aloud an inside joke that no one understands. I smile as I remember a fond memory. But then I go about my day. At night is when I think about trying to reach out to you again. About what I should have said or what I should say to try to understand why we are no longer close. I come up with scripts in my head about a letter I should write you or a voice mail I should leave, so you know how much I miss you. Sometimes I get angry. Why did this friendship not last forever like I was sure it would? What did I ever do to be treated this way? How could you just leave me alone? Do you even care how I am? I ask myself these questions over and over. I get mad. Then I think. I think that you must not have done this to hurt me; sometimes people just drift apart. That you probably think about me sometimes too. That perhaps, sometimes you smile at an old memory we share. Gut

Bio Bay, PR positives

The coolest part of our trip to Puerto Rico was definitely the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques [side note, bioluminescence is a big word, mostly it just means stuff that lights up but scientifically it means 'bio'-life, 'lumin'-light, 'escence'-to put forth. So, life that puts forth light!] It was an experience that I cannot easily put into words. The night started out a bit strange. We got picked up at our hostel at 9pm, along with 5 other girls, by a thirty-something, long-haired gentleman. He walked us about a block to the van that would transport us to the bio-bay. The van was, well, to put it nicely, a fixer-upper. It had bench seats which were collapsing, the roof fabric was falling down, it puttered around and squeaked during turns. Ty and I joked that we were paying 40 bucks to get murdered in this van especially when we turned down a dirt, side street that was full of pot holes. We slowly lumbered along this road for a few minutes until we made it to our