Skip to main content

Day one

So, my first day at work. I started at 10 am with HR filling out paperwork that was probably an inch thick. After an hour of paperwork, I got a quick spiel about how to behave and present myself. After feeling like a complete irresponsible, unrefined employee, I joined my fellow environmentalists and finally felt like I fit in.

We had two programs my first day. An afternoon snorkel and night snorkel! Amber taught me a lot about how their programs worked and where things were. I felt like I fit in right away.

For the afternoon snorkel, Amber and I went to get the kayaks ready for the guests with the wind blowing. The waves were rolling in!

We had four double kayaks with guests and us. Amber and I were in one together, two teenage girls, two adults, Ty and a guest. Amber and I were pulling up the rear when we noticed the teenage girls' kayak filling up with water. Before we could get there and help them out, they toppled over! Two girls in the ocean with a tipped over kayak. We tried to flip over the kayak but water had gotten into the boat via a hole in the back. So that boat was going to stay half sunken... with the girls snorkel gear in the sand at the bottom.

We gave the girls our kayak and I had to get into the ocean with all my clothes on. Amber and I were swimming with the kayak back to shore, keeping an eye out for the snorkel gear. We made it to shore and with the help of the waterfront crew, were able to flip the kayak and drain out all the water that had filled it up. Another kayak was quickly grabbed and we paddled fast to meet the rest of the group at the snorkel spot.

Once we got o the snorkel spot, Amber realized that we had forgotten the girls' extra snorkel gear! Amber had to call in and have them dingy out some extra gear. The rest of the afternoon went well except for the fact that I was in my work clothes and soaking wet without a real change of clothes.

Evening, after changing the work clothes, but not my underclothes, we prepared for our night snorkel. Ty and I were on the kayaking for this program and as soon as we got in the kayak, it started down pouring, so I got wet yet again...

We didn't get out of the place until late but I had a BLAST on my first day.

Im in the USVI, you can't make that shit up!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cake Fairy

Today was a pretty standard weekend here in PA. I dont do much but hope that its nice out so I can go for a walk and explore on my own, but the sun didnt come shining through my window this morning to wake me up. I slept in. After a few hours of lounging around watching youtube videos about history, I asked Cassie if she wanted to explore the town. We decided to take a visit to a local winery/brewery, Stone & Key Cellars, to do some tastings. They had quite the spread of things to taste and we were overwhelmed! Fruit wines and your typical whites and reds, cider and mede! I started out with some of the red fruit wines and Cassie with the white fruits. They were all a bit sweet for me so I moved right into the bold reds. We got four tastings each and shared our tastes but also, the bartender was super cool and gave us more tastings of whatever he wanted! He was talking to us about the local area and what breweries to check out next in our exploration of Pennsylvania. Going to ...

Eating Like Crap is Crap

Im trying really hard not to spend money on food as there is so much food here at camp. Its not horrible food but its definitely not the best. So, with me trying not to spend money on food, I haven't been eating the greatest. I don't know if its because of other reasons, but Ive been feeling like shit lately and Im attributing it to lack of nutrients. I dont know how people eat crap all the time and survive. It must be a skill. I was eating alright about two weeks ago but this last week it hasn't been very pretty. Ive been a scavenger and theres been a lot of bread and fake meat and here is how I feel: Im tired ALL the time. No matter how many naps I take or hours I sleep a night, Im always exhausted by mid-day and just want to lay around, sleep and do nothing. Ive also been starting to get weak headaches throughout the day. Or having sore muscles from doing minimal exercise. That also makes me just want to do nothing. My stomach is also crazy. It hurts if I eat som...

Parasailing at Sunset in Thailand

Thursday was our last unplanned day to explore Phuket and we wanted to soak up the sun! Brookie sent us to Karron beach nearby. When we got to the beach it was a very very hot day so we decided to walk along the shops side of the beach to catch what little bit of shade there was. You guessed it, I bought more sarongs (addiction) and the more you buy the better deal you can get! I also decided that this day was the perfect day to get the local ice cream. The ice cream is prepared right in front of you on a cold plate and there are very simple ingredients, your flavoring and cream. There were dozens of flavors from fruit to candy to chocolate and of course I wanted the Nutella flavor (another addiction of mine). They put your flavor on the cold plate and then pour the cream on top and try to contain the liquid. After a few seconds, the cream begins to harden and thats when they start scooping up and mixing the ice cream. Some of the "ice cream makers" have a rhythm that mak...